Peer Pitch & Concept Refinement Chart

Fall 2020 

CATEGORY 

DETAILS 

Film OR Magazine 

Magazine 

Genre 

Food and Culture 

Target Audience (Be specific) 

Young people interested in cleaner and healthier dietary foods as well as immersing themselves in cultures opposing their own. 

What is your concept? (Be thorough & specific. Review the links on Blackboard) 

My concept is a magazine that includes articles regarding different types of food from all over the world that appeals to people from all backgrounds. Each issue will be focused on a specific meal prepared with ingredients from a specific region or country. Issues will entail interviews with locals where they share a recipe/meal specific to their culture. 

How did you conceive the idea for this concept? 

I started off with the broad topic of food. Then I realized I have an interest in eating healthy. The idea of creating a magazine based off healthy eating arose. I also recently watched Down To Earth with Zac Efron and it opened my mind to a whole new way of eating and knowing what you are eating. This initiated the thought process that led me to the idea of creating a food magazine that covers food from around the world. A year or so ago I found myself watching videos about food done by Bon Appétit for hours on end. This made me want to do a food magazine.  Having to create a magazine that could compete with others as well as sustain multiple issues is why I finally decided on creating a food magazine featuring food from around the world.  

What do you believe is unique about your concept? 

It shows people living in various places what people in a completely different place around the world are eating and allows for a view inside cultures around the world.  

Why do you believe this product will be of interest to your audience? 

I believe in the world we live in today people fail to travel and truly experience what life is like in places other than the little area we limit ourselves to. When traveling somewhere staying in a resort can occasionally cause the local food to be overlooked and underappreciated. This magazine can help with minimizing culture shock and giving an inside look to an outsider. I think this inside look will interest my audience especially since my target audience is younger people who are passionate about healthy eating and about exploring the world around them. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

FEEDBACK RECEIVED FROM PEERS 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Add interviews from locals about the history of the meal and what is means to them.  

  • Add background knowledge of the food.  

  • Pick a country to be write the actual portfolio on. 

  •  Pick which meal to focus on: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

  •  Go to local restaurants to talk to chefs about recipes and history of food.   

 

 

The feedback I received during my class “pitch” was very helpful. It allowed for me to see what an outsider sees when viewing my concept for my portfolio project. The feedback I was given brought up parts and concepts of the project I had not yet put any thought towardsThis includes incorporating interviews and recipes from locals as well as background on the food and its ingredients. The feedback helped steer me in the right direction and helped me narrow down what my concept was truly going to be. I now know that my magazine will be about foods and recipes from around the world. Feature articles will include recipes, photographs, interviews with the chef, and history about that specific food, region, recipe and so forth.  

The magazine I will create will need selling points in order to compete in the food magazine industry. A creative service as discussed in “Magazine publishing trends 2019” will bring in more revenue that will help with advertising (Source 2). I could create a creative service where subscribers suggest places and/or foods for a future issue. This will get my audience engaged and make them feel as though they are a part of the magazine themselves. My decision to have a specific concept yet also have the fluidity and flexibility with the different foods and locations will benefit me greatly. In “Magazine publishing trends 2019” it is stated “Niche publishers have not merely survived the past decade - many of them are thriving.” (Source 2). This is due to sticking with a specific category. If I stick to my concept, I will have a plethora of different feature articles but still the same concept and category. Understanding my audience and what it is that they are interested in reading will help mmagazine buck the downward trend that is magazine sales. In “Magazine publishing trends 2020-…"  it is stressed to make sure not only is it relevant but it's also “selling its relevance” (Source 3). If I complete all these things my magazine will have good foundation to expand and grow off. 

It is obvious that in today's day and age magazines are not as popular as they used to be. My target audience is somewhat of a younger crowd therefore in order to be successful I need to understand my readers and what will appeal to them.  In “The Abundance, Joy, Beauty…"  Mensah Demary emphasizes the importance of being “in tune with the interest and conversations of readers,” (Source 1). Therefore, the overall design of my magazine will have more of a modern feel. This is also why I will take some very valid points from my “pitch” feedback and include things such as the interviews with the locals. I think this will help my audience become more invested in the content of the magazine. I also need to ensure my magazine has a “commitment to diversity” and features foods from all over the world as well as people from all walks of life (Source 1). Although each month's issue will focus on a specific place and specific food, the places will be constantly changing and shifting. This will help my magazine with diversity as well as maintaining my audience's attention.  These things will help my magazine and my concept be successful 

Comments